The final breakout session today was presented by Polly Rehnwall, from Salt Lake City. What a refreshing, somewhat irreverant presentation on some totally new ways to increase your Hospice Census.
Polly focused on growing your Census by generating referrals and converting referrals. Conversion is a big issue. Many hospices are able to get the referrals, but fail to convert them to admissions. The Best programs are able to convert 75% of their referrals to admissions. Although Polly says that many agencies sanitize their conversion numbers by not counting all of their inquiries.
Polly suggested focusing on three key targets: Long Term Care Facilities, Consumers, and Patients and families.
Some key points on marketing to LTC Facailities:
- Have a "Real Nursing Home Program."
- Make routine visits to Hospice patients in nursing homes during evenings and weekends. That's when families are there, and they're the ones who really benefit from your visits.
- Set up preferred provide agreements with ALFs.
- When making a visit to a facility as this question: "Is there anyone else I can help you with today?"
Some key points in marketing to consumers:
- "Inquiries" = admissions until proven otherwise
- Beware of sanitized conversion rates
- To every caller say, "Tell me about it." Find out what they are experiencing.
- Schedule a home visit regardless of the circumstances. You can't admit someone if you don't schedule a visit.
Some key points in marketing to families and patients
- Avoid "eventness" when a family learns of the diagnosis. Don't get caught in the vortex
- Take small steps
- Give them direction
- When you get a "yes" answer, shut up!
You look at these bullet points and ponder. What does this all mean? This was the most interesting, thought stimulating program on business development I've seen in a long time.
To learn more, contact her:
Polly Rehnwall, Inc.
Salt Lake City, UT