It rejuvenates me, and reminds me why we do this business when I read the stories of the nurses, therapists, and home health aides who serve our patients. Comments like:
- "Last June, during the terrible flooding, ____ and her family lost their home and most of their possessions. On that day, she still went to work anyway. She knew that her patients needed care and may be suffering from the flood as well."
- "She noticed that "J", the patient, could communicate with her eyes. The eyes would enlarge when the pain was unbearable, crinkle around the edges at a joke, and blink to say yes or no. Amazingly, no one every realized "J's" abilty to community before. Nobody ever spent enough time with her to noice."
- "She takes Monday mornings off so she can volunteer at the local homeless shelter. During the summer, she bakes pies and fried chicken for the local firemen's blueberry pie fund raiser."
- "Her house recently burned down to the ground with everything she owns in it. She did not miss a beat! She went to work, worked a full schedule, turned in time sheets ON TIME, and made sure she was available to assist in orienting a new aide on the case."
- "I don't know what I'd do without _________ who gives me something to look forward to each week, and gives me goals to reach for each visit."
- "____ is one of the most dedicated therapists who makes sure patients get whatever they need to make their lives easier and complete.
- " _____ has seen improved outcomes in tele-monitered patients. Rates of hospital admissions and emergent care are 20 percent lest than non-monitored patients."
Who are your "Heroes in the Home." What are you doing to recognize them, and to show appreciation for all that they do.
Our research at Leading Home Care shows that employees who feel they are valued and appreciated and who are doing meaningful work have less turnover and are more likely to perform at higher levels that home care workers who do not feel appreciated and recognized.
It's amazing how a piece of paper and some applause make people feel like they are doing worthwhile work. Show your home care team members that they are appreciated!